Saturday 5 December 2009

The Perfect Bangers and Mash with Onion Gravy


A very, very traditional British meal made luxurious and super delicious.

Recipe Ingredients:

  • 6 fresh sausages (minimum 65% pork shoulder, preferable)
  • 1 large onion (thinly sliced)
  • 4 large potatoes (pealed and cut into small cubes for fast cooking)
  • 2 heaped spoons of Gravy powder
  • 1 bunch of chopped parsley
  • 1 soup spoon of butter
  • 1/4 tea spoon of ground nutmeg
  • 1 small glass of milk
  • olive oil salt and pepper (sufficient)



Butterfly cut all the sausages (slice them down the middle without separating the halves). Then put a non stick frying pan on the stove at medium heat with a little olive oil. Once hot add the sliced onion and stir occasionally until it starts to get golden.

While that is happening put a pan on the stove with boiling water and place the cubed potatoes inside (+a little salt) and boil them till cooked.

On the frying pan now that the onions started to caramelize move the onion to one side and place the sausages split down first in the pan then cover them with the onions, and let them cook for about 3-4 minutes, after that turn them and let the onions fall under the sausages and cook for another 3-4 minutes stirring occasionally. This will allow the sausages to cook but more importantly will allow the onions to caramelize further.

Now the potatoes should be cooked so strain them and at the same times remove the sausages from the pan (dish them in pre heated plates to conserve them hot) leaving only the onions. Add to the onions a large glass of water with the gravy powder diluted in it, and bring it to the boil until the gravy thickens and infuses with the caramelized onions and sausage meat flavours from the pan.

While the gravy is making, mash the potatoes with the potato masher, once smooth add the butter + the parsley + the milk and nutmeg and mix well.

Than dish it all and eat this simple traditional yet super delicious meal. :)


6 comments:

Chef E said...

Yeah this would be fantastic for our dinner, lunch, or I would eat this for breakfast!

George Gaston said...

Rico,

As an American who has heard different British televisions refer to Bangers & Mash, I never really knew what they were referring to until I travel through the British Isles. Thanks to you posting this British Classic recipe, I can now try to make it here. Many thanks

I also like your blog tune.

Chef E said...

I left a comment yesterday, hmmm! I love this, and I would take a float in gravy any day...

Rico said...

My followers have dwindled.

Chef E, thank you for making up the numbers and having visited me twice lol...and commenting twice means you have really liked this one...you can now start thinking what you will want when you come to visit...kisses xxx

Gaston (from France)you bangers and mash, I am not sure where the term came from, but I always assume bang is from hitting and it looks like a mini police baton the sausages, maybe is from there...also looks like something else, and the British do call it banging someone when you do it ...go figure...hehe...I am so happy that you loved this classic.thanks a lot :)

Anonymous said...

Awesome! Need to make this soon!

Rico said...

Hehe!! I think everyone will like this one as alternative to the classic, and the additions of beers, Guinness or whatever you feel like adding to it it will give it the personal touch to make it yours, as well as herbs etc, obviously with Guinness the flavours will be amazing but you will get a really dark gravy. Thank you so much girls, 5 Star Foodie and Sophie, you are so sweet and good friends. kisses xxxx

Attribute

If you use any recipes from this site on your blog and/or are inspired by them in the making of a dish on your blog, please acknowledge it by attributing a link as a thank you concerning it's source.... THANK YOU.

PS:
No spam or advertizing will ever be plubished here, don't even try as all comments are checked before publishing.
If you want to place an advert here, payment must be arranjed first.

Rico - Tried and Tested Recipes

Hi my name is Rico (short for Ricardo) will regularly add more food content to this blog, all my recipes are tried and tested, as I make them and eat them as well as my family, so I wouldn't give you something that is not good.

Recipes published here, will try to conform to the following criteria:

-Easy to create or bake.
-Will be nutritious, wholesome and healthy as well as economical too.
- Will be varied and inventive, mostly created by me.
-Occasionally I will treat you to some indulgent ones. But just as a treat. lol :)
- If I use other blog recipes will be to pey homenage and I will definitly link it, appreciated if the same is done for mine.

I will try to respond to all comments made, and visit their owners, however I run a no strings attached blog here when I comment on other blogs I do not expect to have them come here the same way I don't accept if I am commented on that the person will expect my visit to their blog, no commitments, but as I said I will try.

I also want this opportunity to say, thank you al that have continuously vsited me and new people visiting me you are the reason why I am here, I am not here just to get numbrs or self publicise, I am here for real friends and real opinions and to be nice to all. THANK YOU ALL :) xx

Don't just visit in a rush...subscribe to a feed, get updated automatically when I put new foods up, it is fun.