Wednesday 21 October 2009

Curried Pumpkin and Chicken Stew - Halloween



Ingredients: (enough for 3 people) “for more add more potatoes”
  • 1 small pumpkin (peeled, cut into pieces)
  • 1 large potato (cut into pieces)
  • 1 can of cooked chickpeas
  • 1 large onion (cut in pieces)
  • 2 garlic cloves (perforated)
  • 4 Cardamoms (just the seeds)
  • 2 Chicken breasts (cut into cubes)
  • 1/2 cup tomato pulp
  • 1 soup spoon of curry powder (not very spicy)
  • 1 flat soup spoon of turmeric
  • 1/2 soup spoon of paprika
  • 6 great mushrooms (or 12 small ones)
  • 1 bunch of coriander (chopped)
  • a little of olive oil and coarse salt.



Preparation:

Put in a pan it a little olive oil to cover the bottom plus pinch sea salt, once hot add the onion, the garlic, the cardamoms seeds, the onion and the pumpkin, always stirring until it goes golden.

When is golden (a little caramelized) then add the chicken, stirring it regularly to seal it all around, then add the tomato pulp, the paprika, the chickpeas, the turmeric, the mushrooms (if they large cut in quarters, if small in halves), the potato and the curry powder. Now it cover the pan with a lid and as soon as it starts boiling, reduce to minimum and leave it to cook for 25 minutes (+or-) adding a little water if it needs.

After is cooked, add the coriander and cook for a further minute and then serve it.

The inspiration for me was the Halloween pumpkin , carved with the flame inside, represented in this dish, the flame heat by the spicy hot kick and its softness pumpkin flesh, this is a dish partly sweet dish and partly spicy, and the textures are soft and at the same time grainy and silky.
Excellent Halloween representation. Yum yum, one that you really need to make.
if you want a greater visual use pumpkin halves as bowls to serve this delish meal in.





13 comments:

momgateway said...

I love the addition of cardamon in this pumpkin dish...excellent idea!

Rico said...

Thank you momgateway, loved you comment, hope you have the time to make it to evaluate for yourself...kisses xxx

Anonymous said...

A perfect dish for Halloween! Delicious stew!

Ginger said...

An awesome dish of comfort made by the one and only Mr. Ricardo Candeias! May I be so bold to say that your Curried Pumpkin and Chicken Stew looks incredible? If you are in the Cincinnati, Ohio United States area please drop by and give me some. OK?? OK!!

Yours very truly,
Gin

Chef E said...

what a wicked pumpkin, did you carve that? Cool...the dish is making me hungry my friend! I need to get back on fb and talk with you about my Portuguese food experience...

Megan said...

I need to get over my fear of curry. This looks delicious and I feel like i'm missing out! LOL
Very cute Jack-o-latern!

Rico said...

5 Star Foodie, yeah!! it was delicious hope you get the time to make it and try it you would not regret,,thanks for comment luv ya xxx Happy Halloween when it comes

Ginger, Oowww I wish I was there in the great US of A I have never been to the US but I would love to visit one day and try your awesome restaurants etc....and idea make my recipe taste me and tell me all about it ..lol luv'd your comment and visit kisses xxx Happy Halloween when it comes

Chef E, this pumpkin I cannot take the credit for, as I picked it from some image, but I have in the past carved similar is a lot of work but is surely effective and fun...like my dish effective and fun...thanks for comment and visit kisses xxx Happy Halloween when it comes (u sure do need 2 talk 2 me about those PT experiences)

Megan, fear of what in the curry ..the heat? you can control that if you make your own curry powder,,,,shish!! luv'd you comment and visit kisses xxx Happy Halloween when it comes

Ana Powell said...

A delicious way to celebrate Halloween.
Great recipe.
Have a fabulous weekend x

Rico said...

I agree Ana, this is and was a delicious way to start celebrating Halloween, the flavour combo are just very special, thank you for your visit and comment...kisses xxx

The Duo Dishes said...

It's so great to see this recipe today. We just finished a huge pumpkin dinner party. Pumpkin is so versatile! It can go with just about anything.

3 hungry tummies said...

looks almost a a good malaysian curry!!

Thistlemoon said...

This is a perfect Halloween stew! It looks delicious!

Rico said...

Many thanks to Duo dishes for your comment, is true I do love the versatility of pumpkin.
Also thanks to 3 hungry tummies as was quite well spotted for the similarities with a good Malaysian Currie, I have never had one or seen one so it's an honour to have that said about this one...luv ya kisses xxx

Also Thank you JenDZ, I have a great admiration for your cooking as you are my leftover Queen...cheers kisses xxxx

Attribute

If you use any recipes from this site on your blog and/or are inspired by them in the making of a dish on your blog, please acknowledge it by attributing a link as a thank you concerning it's source.... THANK YOU.

PS:
No spam or advertizing will ever be plubished here, don't even try as all comments are checked before publishing.
If you want to place an advert here, payment must be arranjed first.

Rico - Tried and Tested Recipes

Hi my name is Rico (short for Ricardo) will regularly add more food content to this blog, all my recipes are tried and tested, as I make them and eat them as well as my family, so I wouldn't give you something that is not good.

Recipes published here, will try to conform to the following criteria:

-Easy to create or bake.
-Will be nutritious, wholesome and healthy as well as economical too.
- Will be varied and inventive, mostly created by me.
-Occasionally I will treat you to some indulgent ones. But just as a treat. lol :)
- If I use other blog recipes will be to pey homenage and I will definitly link it, appreciated if the same is done for mine.

I will try to respond to all comments made, and visit their owners, however I run a no strings attached blog here when I comment on other blogs I do not expect to have them come here the same way I don't accept if I am commented on that the person will expect my visit to their blog, no commitments, but as I said I will try.

I also want this opportunity to say, thank you al that have continuously vsited me and new people visiting me you are the reason why I am here, I am not here just to get numbrs or self publicise, I am here for real friends and real opinions and to be nice to all. THANK YOU ALL :) xx

Don't just visit in a rush...subscribe to a feed, get updated automatically when I put new foods up, it is fun.