Monday 6 September 2010

Delicious Mushrooms Stew with Chickpeas and Quorn




Recipe Ingredients: (enough for 4)

    * 1 pack of Quorn "pieces" (or soy) about 250 to 300grs
    * 200grs squash pumpkin (peeled and cut into cubes)
    * 1 can of chopped tomatoes (or fresh peeled tomatoes 400grs chopped)
    * 2 medium sweet potatoes (peeled and diced)
    * 2 red-skinned potatoes (peeled and diced)
    * 8 medium mushrooms (cut in quarters)
    * 1 can of beans (rinsed and drained)
    * 2 large carrots (peeled and cut into pieces)
    * 1 large onion (chopped)
    * A small turnip (peeled and cut in cubes)
    * 1 / 2 teaspoon turmeric
    * 1 red pepper (chopped)
    * 3 garlics (chopped)
    * A bunch of parsley (chopped, reserve some leafs for presentation)
    * Salt, pepper, and olive oil "sufficient"




How to prepare:

Place in a pan (on medium) a little olive oil + salt + pepper. Once hot, add the garlic, onion and carrot, stirring regularly until it starts going golden. At this stage add the can of chopped tomatoes, and as soon as they start to boil add the potatoes (both kinds), the turnip, pumpkin, beans, Quorn, turmeric and red pepper.

Place a lid not fully covered and cook covered over low heat for about a minimum 30 minutes, taste to see if this as you like and add to taste the salt pepper, as well as the mushrooms and cook another 4 minutes. Finally add the parsley and cook for another 1-2 minutes. 


Then you only need to serve and decorate the dish, when I tried this recipe I decided that it would be very good served with a nice  cold Rose Wine, or  a good sparkling white. Kisses and bon apetit! ...


6 comments:

Heather S-G said...

This sounds very comforting and filling...I never thought of using quorn as an actual recipe ingredient (don't know why) but it sounds like the perfect addition here. Delish! =)

Anonymous said...

This mushroom stew sounds wonderful! I love the addition of chickpeas!

Chef E said...

I have to check out this video you have on here 'froggy dance', I am addicted now, lol

This dish looks good, and its only breakfast...I was in Spain and we did not make it to Portugal as I had wanted, but year after next we are coming your way!

How is the schooling coming along? Hope all is well...

Rico said...

Apologies for absence to all but my dad passed away in June and things have been a little hairy....But I am back and even though with not much time I'll try post more regularly.

GirliChef, it is a perfect ingredient and serves two purposes one gives you a rest from meat, and is healthier still providing you with the necessary protein, and is not just the old soya. Cheers for visit and comment, lurved it. :) xxx

5 Star, yeah mushroom and chickpeas, I was thinking of sweet and sour, translated into textures and I came up with soft and rough. Also the flavours really compliment each-other. Thanks for comment and visit dear friend. :) xxx

Sophie, not a new blog as such a new face for the old tired one, and with a new title too, however did loose a lot of visits due to changes...oh well. Thanks for the lovely comment and visit. :) xxx

Chef E, Yeah hahaha!! I am also addicted to this song and dance as I even placed it on my mobile as a ring tone, however sometimes don't answer the phone as a result trying to hear more of the song lol. Thanks for comment, shame about not reaching Portugal but I hope you had a lovely time. kisses (continental way) xxx

Rachel@Tasty Thailand said...

Now I suck at cooking and I think even I could do this :) Sounds delicious.

BTW, love the addition of the Crazy Frog video. I used to play Crazy Frog for my kids when I taught English here in Thailand - they even did a dance to it one year. Fun music!

Rico said...

One does their best to entertain in all ways possible, there is nothing like a good healthy meal and a dance after to burn the calories, especially to crazy frog lol.
I know you could make this meal, actually you should make this meal...Happy cooking thx for comment and visit. kisses xxx

Attribute

If you use any recipes from this site on your blog and/or are inspired by them in the making of a dish on your blog, please acknowledge it by attributing a link as a thank you concerning it's source.... THANK YOU.

PS:
No spam or advertizing will ever be plubished here, don't even try as all comments are checked before publishing.
If you want to place an advert here, payment must be arranjed first.

Rico - Tried and Tested Recipes

Hi my name is Rico (short for Ricardo) will regularly add more food content to this blog, all my recipes are tried and tested, as I make them and eat them as well as my family, so I wouldn't give you something that is not good.

Recipes published here, will try to conform to the following criteria:

-Easy to create or bake.
-Will be nutritious, wholesome and healthy as well as economical too.
- Will be varied and inventive, mostly created by me.
-Occasionally I will treat you to some indulgent ones. But just as a treat. lol :)
- If I use other blog recipes will be to pey homenage and I will definitly link it, appreciated if the same is done for mine.

I will try to respond to all comments made, and visit their owners, however I run a no strings attached blog here when I comment on other blogs I do not expect to have them come here the same way I don't accept if I am commented on that the person will expect my visit to their blog, no commitments, but as I said I will try.

I also want this opportunity to say, thank you al that have continuously vsited me and new people visiting me you are the reason why I am here, I am not here just to get numbrs or self publicise, I am here for real friends and real opinions and to be nice to all. THANK YOU ALL :) xx

Don't just visit in a rush...subscribe to a feed, get updated automatically when I put new foods up, it is fun.