Saturday 4 October 2008

American Style Pancakes and Fresh Plum Compote



Recipe Ingredients:
  • About 2 mugs of self raising flour
  • about a mug of milk (full fat better, if not semi will do)
  • 1 large egg
  • 2 large soup spoons of sugar
  • 2 large soup spoons of veg oil
  • 2 tea spoons of baking powder
  • 2 large plums (not to ripen, as you want tartness)
  • two soup spoons of maple syrup (for the smokiness)
  • 1 large soup spoon of brown sugar (not muscovado)
  • 1/2 of a lemon juice.
  • 250mls fresh cream
  • lemon zest
  • vanilla essence

It sounds like a lot of ingredients and complex but is not, I done this as I needed some comfort as the whole family is suffering from a colds, so was a treat for them too.
Place the flour in a bowl and the sugar as well as the baking powder, whisk them together. Once well mixed add the veg oil and the egg to the centre and star mixing gently in a folding motion as is starts to get to thick add the lemon zest the vanilla essence and a little milk keep folding and adding more milk, keep adding milk and folding until a soft mousse consistence is achieved (that's why I said about a mug of milk as depending on size it might take more or less milk) once done cover bowl and let it rest for about 10 minutes this will allow the dough to get light and bubbly as the folded air reacts with the baking powder. while waiting de-seed the two plums and slice them very thinly and place them on a wok or frying pan, add the brown sugar the maple syrup some vanilla essence and a little cinnamon, if you want you may also add some good (one soup spoon) cognac or vintage port, or even sherry. Take this to the heat and to the boil once boiling reduce heat to minimum and let it simmer if it thickens too much add a drop or two of water every time is too thick.
Now back to the pancakes, the dough should be fluffy enough now, fold it a few times and heat a non-stick frying pan place a couple of spoons (full) of dough at the centre and with the back of the spoon spread it to a round shape (spread it thick) it will start bubbling and when is nearly cooked through (but not quite) turn it over leave it for another 2-3 minutes and it's done, repeat process until all dough is gone (you should get about 8 pancakes).
On a separate bowl pour the cream and whisk it once nearly thick add a couple of drops of lemon juice and a tea spoon of sugar, whisk it more and when thick add another tea spoon of sugar and just whisk it for 30 secs more.
Now you lay it one pancake cover it in cream and drizzle some plum compote you made, another pancake and repeat the process. And it's all done serve it with a nice cup of coffee and you are in Heaven, at least me and my family were, I just didn't like washing the pots after lol.
Now you can do this with various fruits I would prefer tart ones to compliment the sweetness of the sugar and the maple syrup, but it is really your choice.



No comments:

Attribute

If you use any recipes from this site on your blog and/or are inspired by them in the making of a dish on your blog, please acknowledge it by attributing a link as a thank you concerning it's source.... THANK YOU.

PS:
No spam or advertizing will ever be plubished here, don't even try as all comments are checked before publishing.
If you want to place an advert here, payment must be arranjed first.

Rico - Tried and Tested Recipes

Hi my name is Rico (short for Ricardo) will regularly add more food content to this blog, all my recipes are tried and tested, as I make them and eat them as well as my family, so I wouldn't give you something that is not good.

Recipes published here, will try to conform to the following criteria:

-Easy to create or bake.
-Will be nutritious, wholesome and healthy as well as economical too.
- Will be varied and inventive, mostly created by me.
-Occasionally I will treat you to some indulgent ones. But just as a treat. lol :)
- If I use other blog recipes will be to pey homenage and I will definitly link it, appreciated if the same is done for mine.

I will try to respond to all comments made, and visit their owners, however I run a no strings attached blog here when I comment on other blogs I do not expect to have them come here the same way I don't accept if I am commented on that the person will expect my visit to their blog, no commitments, but as I said I will try.

I also want this opportunity to say, thank you al that have continuously vsited me and new people visiting me you are the reason why I am here, I am not here just to get numbrs or self publicise, I am here for real friends and real opinions and to be nice to all. THANK YOU ALL :) xx

Don't just visit in a rush...subscribe to a feed, get updated automatically when I put new foods up, it is fun.