Friday 24 October 2008

Left over Egg White Cake

I bake quite a few cakes to sell, but I am always left with the egg whites which really upsets me to throw them away, it feels wrong, however my sister has come to live with me here in England and I asked her to find me some recipe where I could use the egg whites in a cake so she found an excellent way to to save them in the cake recipe given bellow, which we have made some alterations to the original recipe.


Recipe Ingredients:


  • 125grs baking margarine
  • 250grs sugar
  • 190grs flour
  • 1 tea spoon baking powder
  • the juice and zest of one orange
  • 8 egg whites
Preparation:

Very simple indeed, soften the margarine and mix with the sugar until a creamy pale paste, add to this the flour premixed with the baking powder, then add the juice and zest of the orange. Once this is done beat the eggs whites until they peak and add to the previous mixture with a folding action. Rub some margarine is a cake pan and dust it with flour adding covering the bottom with grease proof paper, the cake containing egg whites will stick a lot.
Bake it in a medium oven for 35 minutes (gas mark 180 c) and that's this simple is done.
I didn't do this but I think it could be really nice to warm up the juice of an orange with a measure of Cointreau, stabbing the cake all over with a fork and letting the Cointreau sauce soak into it. yum yum!! (but of course is just an idea)
But anyway now you can save all your egg whites with no fear of high cholesterol giving cake :)


6 comments:

Laurie said...

Wow.. this is great! I'm always looking for recipes to utilize left over egg whites! :)
Thanks for visiting my blog!
Ciao

Clumbsy Cookie said...

And with less fat as well, since you didn't use the fat from the yolks! I'm allways for a piece of cake!

Nic said...

What a great way to use up egg whites, I've always got some left over and I hate to throw them away. Thanks so much!

Rico said...

Thank you to: Laurie, Clumbsy Cookie and Nicisme...your comments are appreciated...credit crunch you know makes us want to utilise all we can and was tasty too :)

Pink Foodie said...

What a brilliant idea. I will be sure to save my egg whites next time. Waste not want not right? That cake would be so great with some fresh strawberries.

Rico said...

Yes that is what I used it at the time to use egg whites, is is fantastic as not only you use them is light and you get something out of it, I left it as a blank canvass on purpose, exactly for people to put whatever they want on it as you said for example fresh strawberries, in fact I have made a cake before with fresh strawberries, thank you so much kisses :) xx

Attribute

If you use any recipes from this site on your blog and/or are inspired by them in the making of a dish on your blog, please acknowledge it by attributing a link as a thank you concerning it's source.... THANK YOU.

PS:
No spam or advertizing will ever be plubished here, don't even try as all comments are checked before publishing.
If you want to place an advert here, payment must be arranjed first.

Rico - Tried and Tested Recipes

Hi my name is Rico (short for Ricardo) will regularly add more food content to this blog, all my recipes are tried and tested, as I make them and eat them as well as my family, so I wouldn't give you something that is not good.

Recipes published here, will try to conform to the following criteria:

-Easy to create or bake.
-Will be nutritious, wholesome and healthy as well as economical too.
- Will be varied and inventive, mostly created by me.
-Occasionally I will treat you to some indulgent ones. But just as a treat. lol :)
- If I use other blog recipes will be to pey homenage and I will definitly link it, appreciated if the same is done for mine.

I will try to respond to all comments made, and visit their owners, however I run a no strings attached blog here when I comment on other blogs I do not expect to have them come here the same way I don't accept if I am commented on that the person will expect my visit to their blog, no commitments, but as I said I will try.

I also want this opportunity to say, thank you al that have continuously vsited me and new people visiting me you are the reason why I am here, I am not here just to get numbrs or self publicise, I am here for real friends and real opinions and to be nice to all. THANK YOU ALL :) xx

Don't just visit in a rush...subscribe to a feed, get updated automatically when I put new foods up, it is fun.