Saturday 17 January 2009

Prawns and Cod - Fisherman Rico Style

Receita em Português AQUI


This wasn't a very cheap diner overall, however if you do the account per person it is very cheap as you'd never eat this quality at the price per person. Total cost was around £10.00 and serves 4 people so is about £2.50 per person ... see.

Recipe Ingredients:
  • 1 onion (finely chopped)
  • 4 medium tomatoes (de seeded and skinless, roughly chopped)
  • 200grs button mushrooms
  • 5 spring onions (chopped)
  • 2 garlic cloves (minced)
  • 1 red pepper (finely but roughly chopped)
  • 500grs Cod (de boned and skinless, chopped into small cubes)
  • 250grs King Prawns fresh
  • 400grs rice (basmati)
  • 1 bunch parsley (chopped)
  • 3 bay leafs
  • 1/3 tea spoon of chilli powder
  • 4 soup spoons of olive oil + 2 of vegetable oil
  • a measure of Poitín (or Cognac) + 1 measure of Port wine
  • Salt and Pepper (to taste)
Another easy recipe to make, as always and very healthy. Put a pan on the stove and boil the rice, once the rice is boiled place it in a colander draining. While the rice is cooking you can start making the sauce, which is also very simple.

Place another pan on the stove (high) place the oils inside until very hot add then the onion, garlic, bay leafs, red pepper and the salt pepper. Let these ones cook until the onion is caramelized, at this point you add the chilli, tomatoes and button mushrooms, let these cook for another 5 minutes, and now add the tomatoes, fish, spring onions, Port and Poitín. Continuing to cook for a further 3 minutes now add the prawns cook for a further 2 minutes until they cooked through and finally the parsley (saving a little to decorate the dish). And you basically done.

Get the rice and pour boiling water over it, letting it drain again this will make it very loose and fluffy, create a bed of rice in each plate and put some sauce over it and decorate it (see picture).

Also alternatively you can add instead of Poitín and port just a full glass of red wine, that will work too.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Poitín, excellent! I don't think we can get that in the states :) Had dishes with it in Ireland this summer though. Great recipe!

Rico said...

Well I think you should be able to find Poitín there as there are lots of Irish over there...but if you don't I normally use (Portuguese Fire-water) I am sure you have something like it, is just a very alcoholic drink 60% proof normally made out of sugar cane or potato skins, but is also known to be made out of figs etc...failing all that you can always go for the wine alternative, and I already tasted Californian wine several times and I know is good...hehe...the point is don't let a small thing like that stop you doing it lol..Luv ya..thx for you lovely comments

Unknown said...

Hey you have some really good recipes! I love most anything with cod fish,, especially if it's salted cod.
Looking at your blog I thought you might be interested in sharing your recipes and cooking tips with us at Foodista. It's a cooking encyclopedia everyone can edit, full of recipes and more from around the world!
We also have small embeddable widgets that can help you build traffic from Foodista-related pages. Check it out here. I look forward to more of your delicious recipes!

Rico said...

Really loved your feedback, nice and straight to the point...the dishes I've made here were with fresh cod, but they can easily be made with salted cod...just requires soaking overnight..I am Portuguese so salted cod is part of our staple diet...I'll have a look at foodista (this word in Portuguese sounds rude lol) and you sure will have more recipes ...easier to get always update if you follow my blog cheers.

Unknown said...

I'm glad you like the feedback and how funny that foodista sounds rude...lol. Well I sure hope to see some of your recipes on Foodista.com. Let me know what you think of it.

Tangled Noodle said...

My kind of recipe - it's served over rice! Thanks for your comments and your doctored pic of Cruise; it's hysterical. I have saved it to use as my screen saver. Thank you!

Rico said...

Thank you so much ...I am happy you like the comments an the pic...luv ya ..take care...and you welcome. Now deleted it.

Unknown said...

Assim nunca tinha provado,mas irei fazer para ter uma ideia deste prato diferente...

Rico said...

Muito obrigada Alex ...você depois me diga como saiu..ta ...beijinhos xxx

Ana Powell said...

Uma nova maneira de apresentar bacalhau.
Excelente sugestão.
Votos de um fim de semana muito bom

Rico said...

Muito obrigada Ana pelo seu comentário. Lembre-se que este blogue tem um gémeo em português os links estão no topo (muitas das receitas estão traduzidas)

Attribute

If you use any recipes from this site on your blog and/or are inspired by them in the making of a dish on your blog, please acknowledge it by attributing a link as a thank you concerning it's source.... THANK YOU.

PS:
No spam or advertizing will ever be plubished here, don't even try as all comments are checked before publishing.
If you want to place an advert here, payment must be arranjed first.

Rico - Tried and Tested Recipes

Hi my name is Rico (short for Ricardo) will regularly add more food content to this blog, all my recipes are tried and tested, as I make them and eat them as well as my family, so I wouldn't give you something that is not good.

Recipes published here, will try to conform to the following criteria:

-Easy to create or bake.
-Will be nutritious, wholesome and healthy as well as economical too.
- Will be varied and inventive, mostly created by me.
-Occasionally I will treat you to some indulgent ones. But just as a treat. lol :)
- If I use other blog recipes will be to pey homenage and I will definitly link it, appreciated if the same is done for mine.

I will try to respond to all comments made, and visit their owners, however I run a no strings attached blog here when I comment on other blogs I do not expect to have them come here the same way I don't accept if I am commented on that the person will expect my visit to their blog, no commitments, but as I said I will try.

I also want this opportunity to say, thank you al that have continuously vsited me and new people visiting me you are the reason why I am here, I am not here just to get numbrs or self publicise, I am here for real friends and real opinions and to be nice to all. THANK YOU ALL :) xx

Don't just visit in a rush...subscribe to a feed, get updated automatically when I put new foods up, it is fun.