But even when I say a little expensive, is not as expensive as you may think the whole cost could be between 7 or 8 pounds and feeds 6-7 people so about one pound something per person, well worth it though.
- 1 large red chilli (finely chopped)
- 1 large onion (finely chopped)
- 1 large red pepper (medium chopped)
- 2 garlic cloves (1 minced, 1 crushed)
- 6 large mushrooms (medium sliced)
- 1 medium fresh squid (cleaned around 250-300grs, strips sliced)
- 250grs fresh uncooked prawns (cut in halves)
- 2 medium chicken breasts (no skin, diced)
- enough rice for four people around 400-500grs (I used Basmati)
- 1 tin of tomato (chopped) pomodoro
- 1 tea spoon of medium hot curry powder
- 2 soup spoons of turmeric powder
- 1 chicken stock cube (I used OXO)
- 2 bay leafs
- olive oil, salt and pepper to taste
- optional a cinnamon stick
Once the one with the water is boiling add the rice and let it cook should take 10-12 minutes to be fully cooked, once cooked put it in a sieve and rinse it with boiling water and set it aside to drain.
the one with the old, add the chopped onion, pepper, chilli, and the curry powder, once the onion is translucent add the chicken and the turmeric, now it tends as is cooking for it to dry a bit, so you can add a little water, always stirring to seal the chicken so it stays nice and soft, once the chicken is fully sealed add the tomato tin, again always stirring, if it continues to get a little dry you can add more water (or stock or white wine), but at this point add the stock cube (crumb it before adding it) let this cook until the chicken is fully cooked.
at this stage add the mushrooms, the prawns, the cinnamon stick and the squid, it literally only takes 3-5 minutes for these to cook, as you just want them cooked, any longer and they will be rubbery. Once that is done remove from the fire add the mixture to the rice, fold it in until all is well mixed and let it stand for about 2 minutes, and is ready to serve.
if you require more taste and colour you can also add when putting the mixture with the rice a big bunch of chopped parsley...the only reason I did not is that I suffer with too much iron in the blood and parsley is full of it, so although I can eat it I should not abuse. Hope you enjoy this as much as i and my family did.