My wife said the same, so did my kid (who normally a very good meal to him he classes it as aright) they classed this meal as EXCELLENT. Not sure if I should divulge it. :) lol
I can tell you is not a lasagna nor it's a gratin.
Receita em Português
Recipe Ingredients: (enough for 5-6)
- 2 large courgettes (slither them with a potato pealer, very thin slices)
- 6 large carrots (cut into half and then quartered leght ways)
- 150grs runner beans (destringed and sliced diagonally)
- 1kg baby new potatoes (others will do but these are the most tender)
- 1pkt of asparagus
- 2 chillis (thinly sliced)
- 1 large bell pepper (sliced) this has the most nutty taste...one can smell it when cutting it.
- 4 large garlic cloves (minced)
- 1 piece of ginger the size of 4 large garlic cloves (minced)
- 2 glasses of milk (soy if you vegan)
- 1 large spoon arrow root (or more cheaply corn starch) diluted in a little water.
- 1 celery heart (sliced)
- some butter
- some olive oil
- a little salt and black pepper
- a pinch of saffron
Well, put a large pan with boiling water on the stove and cook the new potatoes and the carrots, you want them fully cooked but still firm around 25-30 minutes, should do it but it is dependent on potato quality, so keep and eye on them, I use a pin to prickle them throught if it goes through effortessly then their're done. Once cooked drain them and half them, set them aside temporarily.
Prepare all the veg. Once is all prepared, you need to make the white sauce and the stirfry to go within the courgette slithers.
For the white sauce in a milk pan put alittle olive oil and seasoning (salt and pepper), once hot add half of the ginger and half of the garlic and the pinch of saffron, once golden pour the milk in stirring briskly. While stirring put in the arrow root powder dissolved in a little water (and optionally a large spoon of butter), continue to stirr until is thikens up, once done set it aside.
Now place a large wok on the stove add a little olive oil, once hot add a little seasoning + the remaining garlic, ginger also the bell pepper, chilli, runner beans and celery. Continuously stir-fry these it will take around 10 minutes, then add the potatoes, stirfry a further 3 minutes. Then is ready remove from the fire.
Set a pirex tray (or any other tray to go in the oven) drizzle olive oil on the bottom, then slither by slither carefully layer to cover the whole botom of the dish, then throw in the potato mixture, followed by the carrots, then the white sauce reserving a little for the top, place another layer of courgette slithers to fully cover the top (no gaps) than smeer the remaining sauce on top nad sprinkle a little cheddar cheese (if vegan i would sprinkle a little oregano and sweet paprika) and it goes in the oven 200c for around 20 minutes.
The asparagus blanch them for around 3 minutes then cook them in a generous amount of butter (if vegan after blanching them cook them in peanut oil "not fry" so low temp and toss them)