Sunday 1 March 2009

Portuguese Battered Cod & Roasted Potatoes with Cauliflower

Receita em Português AQUI



Now this is a very simple dish and therefore the recipe is mainly on the cod and it's batter, but I will also descriptively tell you how to make the accompaniment.

Recipe ingredients: (enough for 4)
  • 1 egg (stirred in a bow)
  • 4 soup spoons of flour (in another bowl)
  • 1 garlic clove (minced)
  • 1 lemon (in juice)
  • 400grs fresh cod fillets (skinless and cut into smaller portions)
  • salt and pepper (to taste)
The roasted potatoes I done these without any precooking, basically just get some medium to small potatoes (enough for the people you cooking them for, around 2-3 per person), peal them and the larger ones cut in half. Place a roasting tray in the oven with some olive oil to cover the bottom, then once hot place the potatoes in and back into the oven for about 45 minutes at 200c (temperature) and that should be the potatoes done.

The cauliflower and broccoli (yes I did broccoli, but is not on the picture as plate was already full) I steamed these, by putting a pan on the stove with about 1 inch deep of water with a little salt, I washed and cut both of these veg to more manageable pieces and place them in the pan with a lid on and once started boiling I reduced the flame to just above minimum to continue the boiling and placed a lid on the pan to recycle the water and steam, I cooked these for 15 minutes, obviously keep a check as you may want them better cooked or less cooked. but that is the veg done.

The fish, this one you dry very well with either paper towels or kitchen towel, squeezing the fish to really draw the excess water (as they always have lots of water) this is important as next we marinade the fish and we want these marinade to be absorbed. On a little container (maybe a ramekin) mix the lemon juice and the garlic, leave it for about 3-5 minutes to infuse flavours and then put it all over the fish marinading the fish in this leaving it for 30 minutes, don't forget to also add a little salt and pepper to the marinade. Once this is done, you place a frying pan on the stove with about 1/2 inch of vegetable oil, and piece by piece (of cod) you pass it through the flour, both sides shake off the excess than into the egg making sure is well involved, than into the piping hot oil, repeat the process until the frying pan is full, but make sure at the same time you need to turn the fish over as soon as it is sealed, letting it cook on both sides until is golden brown, I had to do the fish into two go's as it didn't all fit in the first batch in the frying pan. Once the fish is cooked place it on a plate with a couple of paper towels to absorb the excess oil. And you done, it is delicious and the fish just flakes off when you eat it.

I use the above accompaniment in the winter and in the summer (also a more traditional Portuguese way) I do it with tomato rice and a mix salad of tomato, onion and lettuce (with a little vinaigrette, making this meal lighter and more refreshing. Have fun..

6 comments:

Christelle said...

This reminds me ,there is a portuguese recipe made with fish, made into flakes that is really delicious and quite typical, that I love very much, but I don't have the recipe or the name... Could you help? :))

Rico said...

Could that be: Bacalhau á Gomes de Sá or bacalhau a bráz
Google these putting in front recipe, I have a feeling is Gomes de Sá..thx again for visit..

Unknown said...

Está lindo o prato,só uma coisa sabias que podes encomendar bacalhau salgado no morrisons,eu fiz uma encomenda para esta semana 1 kilo por 7.39pences,ou seja se for bom,não precisamos de ir ao portugues,lolol.beijoca doces Alexis...

Rico said...

Brigada Alexis, pelo comentário e dica. Infelizmente parece que não são todos os Morrisons que fazem isso ..pois fui a um hoje perguntei se podia encomendar "salted Cod" e a mulher disse-ma que não...e eu disse mas fazem nos outros Morrisons e ela disse talvez mas ali não. Logo tento noutro...de qualquer forma brigada.

glucosamine said...

I never heard about that dish. But I am always ready to try new things. So I am definitely going to try this new dish also! hope it will become as good as shown in this picture.

Rico said...

There should be no reason why it shouldn't turn out like in the picture, I am sure you're going to love it this is a simple dish and very delicious...I am honoured you are going to give it a go..hope you can let us know how it turned up..thanks for visit and comment kisses xxxx

Attribute

If you use any recipes from this site on your blog and/or are inspired by them in the making of a dish on your blog, please acknowledge it by attributing a link as a thank you concerning it's source.... THANK YOU.

PS:
No spam or advertizing will ever be plubished here, don't even try as all comments are checked before publishing.
If you want to place an advert here, payment must be arranjed first.

Rico - Tried and Tested Recipes

Hi my name is Rico (short for Ricardo) will regularly add more food content to this blog, all my recipes are tried and tested, as I make them and eat them as well as my family, so I wouldn't give you something that is not good.

Recipes published here, will try to conform to the following criteria:

-Easy to create or bake.
-Will be nutritious, wholesome and healthy as well as economical too.
- Will be varied and inventive, mostly created by me.
-Occasionally I will treat you to some indulgent ones. But just as a treat. lol :)
- If I use other blog recipes will be to pey homenage and I will definitly link it, appreciated if the same is done for mine.

I will try to respond to all comments made, and visit their owners, however I run a no strings attached blog here when I comment on other blogs I do not expect to have them come here the same way I don't accept if I am commented on that the person will expect my visit to their blog, no commitments, but as I said I will try.

I also want this opportunity to say, thank you al that have continuously vsited me and new people visiting me you are the reason why I am here, I am not here just to get numbrs or self publicise, I am here for real friends and real opinions and to be nice to all. THANK YOU ALL :) xx

Don't just visit in a rush...subscribe to a feed, get updated automatically when I put new foods up, it is fun.