Saturday 7 February 2009

Chilli con Quorn over Pasta Shells (vagetarian)

Receita em Português AQUI



Very easy recipe that I do repeat several times during the month, as my wife is a vegetarian, and this turns out very similar to the meat one (my opinion) I also enjoy it too. The kids are not so keen, don't take me wrong they still like it but called it fake meat and say would prefer with real meat.

  • 2 red chillies (finely sliced) medium hot
  • 1/2 red pepper and 1/2 green pepper (diced)
  • 1 onion diced
  • 1 large carrot (thinly sliced)
  • 3 garlic cloves (minced)
  • 1 soup spoon tomato concentrate
  • 1 tin of tomatoes (diced) can also use fresh ones but de-seed them and remove the skin first about 3 large will do (diced)
  • 1 tin mixed beans (or just kidney beans will do)
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 1 tea spoon full of cumin powder
  • 300grs of Quorn (or alternatively soya mince)
  • 400grs of pasta shells (cooked in water with two crushed garlic cloves)
  • 1/2 glass of white wine
  • 4 soup spoons of olive oil



Well this recipe is very simple, place the oil in pan and once very hot add the following: Onion, Garlic, chilly, peppers, carrots, cumin powder, salt and black pepper (to taste), let it all cook stirring occasionally until the onion is semi transparent, at this stage add the tomato, the tomato concentrate and the wine, reduce to medium heat and let it simmer for 5 minutes.

Now add the Quorn or Soya and let it continue to simmer stirring occasionally for a further 5 minutes, at the of which you add the beans and let it continue to simmer for a further 3-5 minutes more and the sauce is ready. So remember to put the pasta on cooking around the time you added the Quorn to the sauce.

Once all is ready place the pasta on the plate (you can also do this with rice or Bulgar or even cus cus) and pour a good couple of serving spoons over the pasta, (optionally) you can add some grated cheddar and a little Parmesan on top. makes it just delicious, of course is also good without it. For a meat one just replace the Quorn with beef or pork or lamb mince.

Tip: for fairly hot use the whole chillies sliced, if less heat is required just cat the chillies in half and remove the seeds and the white veins, before cooking them.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a great vegetarian chilli and definitely healthy!

Rico said...

Thank you my "Star" , I really appreciated your comment, and visit once more, it is very healthy indeed... I wish I could offer you some :) xx

Unknown said...

Embora não seja grande apreciadora deste,mas a contar pelo prato parece delicioso,bjs Alexis...

Rico said...

Sempre podes substituir o Quorn com carne picada quer porco ou vaca,,,e se não gostas de piripiri...não ponhas piripiri, põe antes daqueles pimentos compridos doces ...eu sei que tu sabes inventar eu vi provas no teu blogue...jinhos xxx

Anonymous said...

this looks good- we actually has something really similar the other night (but I forgot to add carrot, which i only had in chili for the first time recently)! I love quorn!

Rico said...

Hehe so you know is good, thanks for comment...I find many people make chilli con quorn, even though this one I invented my self, I found many people have similar dishes...reason for it is that chilli con carne is made with very similar ingredients so I am not surprised the veggie one falls in the same category...but what I am most happy is that you enjoyed being here, and I enjoyed having you over..cheers!!! :)

Julie said...

Looks very good...who would even miss the meat? Well my hubby would, but I would Love it!

Rico said...

Maybe if you didn't tell your hubby he wouldn't notice, as Quorn has a meaty texture...unfortunatley not a meaty taste but depending on the sauce it can be deceiving...thank you for your visit and comment really appreciated. xxx

Chef E said...

I wonder if Quorn is the equivalent to our TVP Textured Vegetable Protein or basically dried soy flakes and chunks...excuse my french, but damn that looks good sir!

Rico said...

Definitely very very similar to textured protein, I would have no problem using that for this dish, as long as it absorbs flavour, cumin and garlic etc...Choose some nice flavoursome bean and a good chilli to the hotness you used to...and have fun..thx for comment and visit ..happy valentine's day

Anonymous said...

Sounds great! I make chili-type dishes with quorn quite a lot - I prefer it to the other "fake meat" options :)

Rico said...

You absolutely right ..I my self used to use other fake meat options, but I found them too salty and they wouldn't take the flavours in as well as the Quorn. So now I am a Quorny person lol...thanks for visit and comment... Happy Valentine's

Attribute

If you use any recipes from this site on your blog and/or are inspired by them in the making of a dish on your blog, please acknowledge it by attributing a link as a thank you concerning it's source.... THANK YOU.

PS:
No spam or advertizing will ever be plubished here, don't even try as all comments are checked before publishing.
If you want to place an advert here, payment must be arranjed first.

Rico - Tried and Tested Recipes

Hi my name is Rico (short for Ricardo) will regularly add more food content to this blog, all my recipes are tried and tested, as I make them and eat them as well as my family, so I wouldn't give you something that is not good.

Recipes published here, will try to conform to the following criteria:

-Easy to create or bake.
-Will be nutritious, wholesome and healthy as well as economical too.
- Will be varied and inventive, mostly created by me.
-Occasionally I will treat you to some indulgent ones. But just as a treat. lol :)
- If I use other blog recipes will be to pey homenage and I will definitly link it, appreciated if the same is done for mine.

I will try to respond to all comments made, and visit their owners, however I run a no strings attached blog here when I comment on other blogs I do not expect to have them come here the same way I don't accept if I am commented on that the person will expect my visit to their blog, no commitments, but as I said I will try.

I also want this opportunity to say, thank you al that have continuously vsited me and new people visiting me you are the reason why I am here, I am not here just to get numbrs or self publicise, I am here for real friends and real opinions and to be nice to all. THANK YOU ALL :) xx

Don't just visit in a rush...subscribe to a feed, get updated automatically when I put new foods up, it is fun.