Saturday 21 February 2009

"Valentino Hot" Chicken with chickpeas Wedges and Salad

Receita em Português AQUI



I call this chicken Valentino chicken as it has two discerning characteristics that live up to the name, is spicy hot and very red in colour..you'll see below why. :D



Recipe Ingredients: (enough for 3-4 people)
  • 400-500grs chicken thighs (skinless and boneless)
  • 2 cooked beetroot's
  • 1 medium onion
  • 2 garlic cloves
  • 1 large chilli (chopped "including seeds and veins")
  • 1 chopped plum tomato tin
  • 2 soup spoons of tomato concentrate
  • 1/2 red pepper
  • 1/2 chickpeas tin
  • 1/3 glass of light red wine or rosé
  • 4 spring onions (chopped finely)
  • some olive oil
  • salt and black pepper (to taste)
Place a pan on the stove at high temp, put enough olive oil in to cover the bottom of the pan, and once it is hot add: the onion, beetroot and red pepper, let these cook for a little while (about 3 minutes) and then piece by piece add the chicken and as soon as it seal on one side turn the chicken around to seal the other side too as this helps to keep the juices in keeping the chicken moist and tender. Chicken which you previously marinated in the (garlic, chilli and wine " see photo") for around 30 mins to 1 hr.

After the chicken is completely sealed ad the marinating liquid including the chillies and garlic into the pan, and together with that ad also the two, tomato paste and chopped plum tomatoes. Reduce the heat to medium and let it simmer for a good 10-15 minutes stirring occasionally.

Now temporarily remove the chicken, put the sauce in a jug and blitz it with the blender, back into the pan with the sauce and add the chickpeas and put the chicken back there too, and now cook for a further 5 minutes so that the chickpeas heat up properly (as is already cooked in the tin), then arrange it on the plate with the wedges and a little salad or do it your own way. Cheers!!



Recipe Ingredients: (for the wedges, enough for 3-4 people)
  • 400grs potatoes (cut lengthways in six, to form wedges)
  • 1 soup spoon plain flour
  • 1 pinch of fresh ground black pepper
  • 1 pinch of fresh ground sea salt
  • 1/2 tea spoon of chilli powder
  • 3 spoons of olive oil
Place a pan with boiling water on the stove at high temp with a little salt, place the potato wedges inside and part-cook them (about 4-5 minutes) remove and drain the potatoes, and place them in a bowl, placing all the remaining ingredients in the bowl with the potatoes, toss them in the bowl not using any utensils, just toss them until they are fully covered by the ingredients.

Now scatter them in a tray and place them in the oven at 200c for about 15-20 until golden brown, and at this point they are ready to serve. Now these potato wedges are easy to make and very versatile, as you can pick and choose what aromatic herbs you put in if any you can put dry herbs or fresh, or even different powders...one of my favourite is paprika and garlic powder. Anyway have fun...that is what cooking is all about having fun and experimenting.




Bellow was another meal I made using some left overs from the above meal, I had a little sauce and chickpeas left as well as a couple of chicken pieces, so I cut the chicken in small bits, got the sauce (after heating it) and chickpeas in a blender added a couple of glugs of olive oil (extra virgin) blitz it to a smooth paste (to pesto consistency) . Cooked some pasta and and added the sauce with the chicken bits mixed in into the pasta (in this case spaghetti) also chopped up finely some spring onions and scattered over the top of the dish for added décor and taste. et voila...bon apetit...


13 comments:

Unknown said...

Soa imenso a coisinha boa,bjs doces Alexis..

Rico said...

Sim espero que gostes quando vires. xxx

Chef E said...

Yum num num...

Rico said...

Sorry Chef E, I didn't have the recipe up by the time you came, but is up now, so many thanks for your comment and visit. xxx

Sweet Cheeks said...

Oh my gosh. Everything looks wonderful. Sheesh...now I am hungry.

Rico said...

Sorry I doing this one slow...but I am so tired...Hope is enjoyable once is finished.. Thx for the visit and comment xxxx

Anonymous said...

Finally, the recipe I've been waiting for :) Looks great!

Sanghi said...

Hi Ricardo.. Wonderful presentation and lovely combo of colours. Tempting salad and pasta. U have a great place here. Thanks for visiting my 'World food Treat' blog and ur lovely comments..!

Rico said...

Hi 5 Star, lemme apologise for the long wait, I hope it was worth it. I really appreciated your visit and comment. I will try to continue to surprise and delight you as well as other visitors :D

And Sanghi, I feel honoured that you have taken the time to check me out too, and grateful for the comment left .cheers !!!! :)

Chef E said...

Okay I am back for the photo taste...that chicken looks so pink in the first one...nice, and those potatoes look really good *drool*, and how nice you added some cucumber, this chef approves a veggie addition!

I just finished off my chickpea chili, and lets just say I could live on that in the hard times :)

Rico said...

Yup Chef E...the chicken is pink as is in the red wine marinade so a lot of the wine colour is gone onto it lol. I too love vegetarian foods taking the chicken out it still would have been a spicy nice hot meal...the cucumber is to help refresh your spicy mouth as this was really HOT. hehe just how I like it.. This meal would give anyone tons of energy trust me lmao :D make sure to have a nice ice cold drink by your side :D...thx for the visit and comment luv'd it

Bergamot said...

i just love your ideas... so different yet simple and scrumptious

Rico said...

That is the idea, recipes that look laborious, so that you impress family/guests, but very easy to make and assemble, yet cheap to make around a £5 or under, and usually healthy too. what else could one ask. hehe Thx for visit and comment. :) xxx

Attribute

If you use any recipes from this site on your blog and/or are inspired by them in the making of a dish on your blog, please acknowledge it by attributing a link as a thank you concerning it's source.... THANK YOU.

PS:
No spam or advertizing will ever be plubished here, don't even try as all comments are checked before publishing.
If you want to place an advert here, payment must be arranjed first.

Rico - Tried and Tested Recipes

Hi my name is Rico (short for Ricardo) will regularly add more food content to this blog, all my recipes are tried and tested, as I make them and eat them as well as my family, so I wouldn't give you something that is not good.

Recipes published here, will try to conform to the following criteria:

-Easy to create or bake.
-Will be nutritious, wholesome and healthy as well as economical too.
- Will be varied and inventive, mostly created by me.
-Occasionally I will treat you to some indulgent ones. But just as a treat. lol :)
- If I use other blog recipes will be to pey homenage and I will definitly link it, appreciated if the same is done for mine.

I will try to respond to all comments made, and visit their owners, however I run a no strings attached blog here when I comment on other blogs I do not expect to have them come here the same way I don't accept if I am commented on that the person will expect my visit to their blog, no commitments, but as I said I will try.

I also want this opportunity to say, thank you al that have continuously vsited me and new people visiting me you are the reason why I am here, I am not here just to get numbrs or self publicise, I am here for real friends and real opinions and to be nice to all. THANK YOU ALL :) xx

Don't just visit in a rush...subscribe to a feed, get updated automatically when I put new foods up, it is fun.