Friday 13 February 2009

Fish in Courgette Wraps and beer batter with Mandolin Crisps and Steamed Pak Choi + Courgette Fritters



It looks complicated, but I assure you was not. It was a little fiddly. But it sure was worth it afterwards, when eating my creation.



Recipe ingredients: (feeds 3)
  • 1 large fish fillet (I used Cooley) remove skin and cut into small chunks
  • 1 large courgette
  • 2 soup spoons of flour
  • 1 egg
  • a glug of beer
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • a pan with about 3 fingers deep of frying oil.
  • 3 Pak Choi
  • a small courgette (chipped)
  • 6 medium potatoes (or 8 small, very thin sliced, to make the crisps)
First fry the crisps in the oil, while that is doing, with a potato peeler cut thin slices of courgette (large) until it's all used up, sprinkle a little salt and pepper on the fish chunks and once that is done wrap each fish portion into two slithers of courgette, setting it aside on top of an absorbent tissue to remove excess water.

Once the crisps are made (it will take you about 3 go's) stick them on a plate on top of some absorbent paper to remove excess oil, also you can place them in the oven at 50c to keep them hot and dry. Meanwhile put a pan on the stove with about 6 soup spoons of water, with a lid on and wait till starts boiling reduce heat to minimum and placed inside the pak choi (washed) place the lid back on and now move on to the fish.

get two bowls one put just a little flour, the other the 2 sp of flour + egg + glug of beer + salt and pepper to taste, mix into a batter, dip one end of the fish rolls into the flour and then into the batter, then place them in the oil, once the batter is cooked tip them on their side to cook better it will only take about 3 minutes to cook the fish and courgette. once done place them on an absorbent paper to remove excess fat and water released by courgette. Please remember this is not a crispy batter, but a soft one, once all the fish bits are done use the excess batter to coat the other courgette chips and fry them too. Once all done the pak choi will be cooked and now is just a matter of assembling it on the plate and eating, I added a little lemon juice on top of the fish and pak choi after dished..it was delicious. But like i said in a comment bellow, i feel I done to many fried things together if I made this dish again I would have made some mash with a little butter cream (salt and pepper to taste) pinch of nutmeg and some chopped chives ...Hope you like it.


20 comments:

Chef E said...

Your gonna make me wheely work to find out what courgette wraps are...now going to goolge...chips look good but off limits for the next few months while I am loosing some baby fat!

Rico said...

I know what you mean exactly, I also thinks I made to many fried things on this dish ...if I made it again I would have used a potato and butter mash infused with chives. But it was delicious..and i am also trying to loose fat (cough..fat chance) hehe..thx for visit and comment..Happy valentine's for you and your partner xxx

Unknown said...

Bonito prato,bjs doces Alexis..

Rico said...

brigada sweetie...jinhos xxx Happy Valentine

Anonymous said...

I think I should buy some large bottles of beer for this really appetizing dish.

Rico said...

you couldn't have guessed any better, I had beer with that dish ...lol...I did...thx for dropping by and comment loved it. Happy Valentines

Anonymous said...

This looks great - definitely with beer :) Hope you had a great weekend!

pigpigscorner said...

oo a perfect dish with a bottle of beer!

Tangled Noodle said...

Thanks for sending this! The courgette-wrapped fish look wonderful. I'd love to try different sauces with it. The crisps are also lovely but I have to go with your suggestion at the end - some butter cream mash . . . mmmmm!

Rico said...

I agree go with the mash... I really appreciate the visit and comment. Tartar sauce is great with fish as you well know. If you want a made sauce a white wine and tarragon with cream (don't forget egg yolk to thicken :) ), is lovely too. Thank you so much xxxx

Rico said...

Definitely a nice cold beer, may I recommend Stella or Budweiser...as they a little lighter with no bitter after-taste

Rico said...

Thanks 5 Star, you are a million star person. Thank you for visit and comment. Se above for my beer suggestion...hehe xxxx

Chef E said...

I came back because I keep thinking of that song, 99 bottles of beer on the wall, Ricardo made fish in courgette wraps and then he ate it alllllllll...98 bottles of beer on the wall!

Cannot wait to see what you make next sir!

Rico said...

Sir??!! Is there a Sir in the room. Well I can't see one.
As to your comment, you owe me a pair of underpants, I laugh so hard I pee'd my self, your fault of course...
I really like your visits, they are fun and you're always welcome here, I alternate next dish might be a boring classic with a twist.. thx for visit and comment.

FOODalogue said...

Like the concept here for the fish..wrapping it with courgette. I imagine you could bake it too. Looks delicious! And makes a nice presentation.

Rico said...

Actually I think baked is an EXCELLENT Idea, why didn't I think of that, but I would still brush some kind of batter around courgette so that it sticks while baking or maybe put a tooth pick... Well done...well Thanks for the input, visit and Comments...loved it.. :)

SaraLynn said...

My stomach is growling...seriously....


hope you have a fantastic week :)

Rico said...

I am so happy you like it ...it was very high on foodbuzz at the time everyone liked it...I can see you have an eye for food too.. cheers for visit and comment :D xx

Bergamot said...

i liked the idea of using courgette as a wrap. Will think of using this idea sometime with a stuffing (no idea what I will use). Though will grill it rather than fry since I hate to fry stuff. Somehow feel it's too much work :-)

Rico said...

Thank you Bergamot, both for visit and comment...I agree it was far too much trouble, but was delicious, if I had to make it again I would probably bake, grilling is fine too but the wrap tends to open. Great stuff though...go for it.. cheers :) xxx

Attribute

If you use any recipes from this site on your blog and/or are inspired by them in the making of a dish on your blog, please acknowledge it by attributing a link as a thank you concerning it's source.... THANK YOU.

PS:
No spam or advertizing will ever be plubished here, don't even try as all comments are checked before publishing.
If you want to place an advert here, payment must be arranjed first.

Rico - Tried and Tested Recipes

Hi my name is Rico (short for Ricardo) will regularly add more food content to this blog, all my recipes are tried and tested, as I make them and eat them as well as my family, so I wouldn't give you something that is not good.

Recipes published here, will try to conform to the following criteria:

-Easy to create or bake.
-Will be nutritious, wholesome and healthy as well as economical too.
- Will be varied and inventive, mostly created by me.
-Occasionally I will treat you to some indulgent ones. But just as a treat. lol :)
- If I use other blog recipes will be to pey homenage and I will definitly link it, appreciated if the same is done for mine.

I will try to respond to all comments made, and visit their owners, however I run a no strings attached blog here when I comment on other blogs I do not expect to have them come here the same way I don't accept if I am commented on that the person will expect my visit to their blog, no commitments, but as I said I will try.

I also want this opportunity to say, thank you al that have continuously vsited me and new people visiting me you are the reason why I am here, I am not here just to get numbrs or self publicise, I am here for real friends and real opinions and to be nice to all. THANK YOU ALL :) xx

Don't just visit in a rush...subscribe to a feed, get updated automatically when I put new foods up, it is fun.