Monday 16 February 2009

Potato and Mushroom Halloumi Grattin with Sticky Pork Ribs / Crumed Garlic Chicken / Fish Cake

Receita em Português AQUI



Another simple yet effective recipe, very tasty indeed, if I may say so, and the accompaniment is so versatile that goes with many things, some of which I listed here, the rest is up to you. Above you can see the Potato and Mushroom Halloumi grattin, bellow are the sticky ribs YUM!!!



Recipe Ingredients: (grattin, feeds 4 people)
  • 1kg potato red skin (washed and thin sliced)
  • 1 large onion (finely chopped)
  • 300grs Large open mushrooms (sliced)
  • 200grs cheddar cheese (grated)
  • 200grs Halloumi cheese (thinly sliced , about 1/2 cm thickness)
  • 1/2 glass full fat milk
  • (optional) few bits of butter
  • 2 garlic cloves (minced)
  • salt pepper and olive oil (to taste)
Place a pan with boiling water on the stove, and put the sliced potatoes in, once it reaches boil again let them cook for 4 minutes. While that is doing you can pan fry with a little olive oil the mushrooms and 1 garlic clove (minced), and once that is that do the same to the onion and another garlic clove (minced).

You then assemble the dish for the oven, after draining the potatoes, one by one cover the bottom of a pirex dish, then scatter covering those potatoes with the onion, followed by the mushrooms. On top of those pour half of the milk you have in the glass evenly throughout the whole area, and then the grated cheddar, follow that by a little seasoning salt and pepper, and layer another section of potato slices using the remainder of the potato, once that is done pour the remaining milk evenly to cover all area and position the Halloumi to be well spread over al of the potatoes (see picture). Then goes in the oven for 30 minutes at 180c.




For the pork ribs, make sure when you buy these that they are quite meaty, but they also must have a little fat, as they helps with being tender when cooking.

Recipe Ingredients: (ribs enough for 2)
  • 400-500grs pork rib rack
  • 2 soup spoons of ketchup
  • 1 soup spoon of condiment of mustard (or American style mustard)
  • 1 tea spoon of smoked paprika
  • 1/2 tea spoon of chilli powder
  • 1 soup spoon of smoky BBQ sauce
  • 1/2 orange in juice
  • 1 soup spoon of denmerra sugar
Mix all the ingredients (apart from the pork rack...lol) to form a basting and sticky sauce. Brush it on both sides of the rack, once that is done place the rack in the oven at 180c for 30 minutes (so you see this will cook at same time as the potatoes), however set a timer every ten minutes of those thirty for you to brush more sauce on the rib rack, so you get to brush it 3 times in all and I want you to (by the last brushing) use all the sauce. that will make the ribs very nice tender and sticky, obviously tenderness of the ribs will also depend on the quality of pork. YUM!!




The chicken is just some rests I used to not go to spoil, basically I de-boned a couple of leg/thighs and took the skin off, tempered them with salt lemon and garlic, and let them marinate for 30 minutes before I started the whole coking. Then I pass them through flour (mixed with garlic granules and pepper), and some egg (mix) and finally through bread crumbs. And deep fried these until golden brown (see picture)



The fish also a rest of fish, weigh it and boiled the same weight of the fish in potatoes. So 50% fish 50% potato, mashed the potato and minced the fish, mix the two together, adding an egg yolk some seasoning and some parsley chopped, once well mixed I beat the egg with to peak and folded that into the mixture, formed some cakes pass these through flour, and then egg (mix), finally bread crumbs and deep fried, same as the chicken...well YUM!! again,,, you can top it up after fried with a little lemon juice, and some tartare sauce if you like... have fun...you can use many more left overs. If you ever have difficulties thinking what to do with left overs asked I might be able to help....lol

31 comments:

Kim, Ordinary Recipes Made Gourmet said...

Oh My Rico...were you not going to invite me to dinner???? :( Pass me a plate pls!

Rico said...

Of course Kim, you are invited lol...and here's the plate.

I really wish you could taste it ...it was so good.
Thanks for visit and lovely comment.

Finla said...

Wowo looks like you had a wonderful dinner with a variety of dishes.
Thar ib looks so yumm.
Thankyou for wisiting my place.

Rico said...

thank you happy cook, both for your visit and generous comments, as to visiting your place was a pleasure, that I'll repeat. cheers!!

Thistlemoon said...

That looks like an awesome dish with a fabulous combination of flavors!

Anonymous said...

Mmmm - great sounding gratin. I love spuds (of course) and I'm also a big halloumi fan. Yum and yum!

Rico said...

Thank you Jenn,for visit and comment I loved it. And let me say you very welcome here please come back always cheers!!!

Rico said...

Thank you so much Daily S ... I enjoyed your visit and am happy you liked the dish, hope you have the time to make it, as is so easy, appreciated your comments. come again any time cheers!!

Liliana Andreia said...

ola!obrigada pela visita ao meu blog.boa semana

Rico said...

Ola obrigada pela sua passagem pelo meu, sabe que tenho um blogue em português... jinhos xxx

Katherine Roberts Aucoin said...

Wow, what a feast you prepared! The grain is fabulous!

Pam said...

I love the flavors you used. This looks like an incredible meal.

Rico said...

Thank you so much ...appreciated both your visit and comment xxx

Rico said...

Thanks Katherine, really appreciated your visit and your comment. xxx

Rico said...

Thanks Pam, it was indeed a delicious meal....thx for visit and comment, hope you can revisit :)

Anonymous said...

The ribs look outstanding and the gratin sounds delicious!

Rico said...

Thank you so much 5 Star, luv ya when you visit ...thank you for comment too...cheers xxxx

The Duo Dishes said...

The haloumi is a nice touch!

Tangled Noodle said...

I don't think I've used halloumi in a recipe before - I've just enjoyed it 'straight'; this will be something new! And what can I possibly say about those ribs? To borrow an old cliche: finger-lickin' good!

Sweet Cheeks said...

First, I love your site! The food all looks so wonderful. Thanks so much for the comment the other day. It really pepped me up!

Christelle said...

Interesting, I love ribs, but never tried the american version, I know the chinese one:
http://easydoesitrecipes.blogspot.com/2008/08/chinese-bbq-ribs.html
I'll have a go at them!

Anonymous said...

Wish I was there :(
Doing the next best thing - feasting with my eyes and salivating!

Rico said...

Thanks Faisal Really appreciated your comment and visit. Keep visiting I'll try to keep you salivating :)

Rico said...

Thx Christelle, I am very pleased you visited and comment on the above dish, I'll visit that blog ..cheers xxx

Rico said...

Thanks Duo i agree halloumi is a new twist, as well as this gratting not being the conventional one with bechamel or cream so less fatenning as well as the new cheese texture.xxx

Tangled I have had halloumi at Nandos, they do a mushroom and halloumi burger, and also in a pita, when i ate this cheese I really liked the texture and thouht about grilling it or roasting it strainght away in the right dish of course, and it seems I found it. xxx

And Mommy, I like placing comments where they are deserved, and you should recognise that you have it, so well done. xxx

All of you thanx for the visit and generous comments on this dish, I am truly honoured...xxx

Christelle said...

I'm wondering about the European ribs now!.. :)

Rico said...

Christelle you're funny ...hehe I luv ya...thanx for revisit xxx

Anonymous said...

Potatoes, mushrooms, and halloumi sounds like a fantastic gratin!

Rico said...

It was nice indeed Lisa, hope you get a chance of trying it. Thank you for comment and visit, really is appreciated, hope I can keep you pleased with future postings.

Michele said...

That looks so good -- prior to being lactose-intolerant, I loved Halloumi. One of my favorite ways was lightly grilled.

Rico said...

Sorry Michele to hear you lactose intolerant especially that you weren't before. so I am sure there must be a lot of things you miss, sorry to tease you like this :). thanks for the visit and comment :) xxx

Attribute

If you use any recipes from this site on your blog and/or are inspired by them in the making of a dish on your blog, please acknowledge it by attributing a link as a thank you concerning it's source.... THANK YOU.

PS:
No spam or advertizing will ever be plubished here, don't even try as all comments are checked before publishing.
If you want to place an advert here, payment must be arranjed first.

Rico - Tried and Tested Recipes

Hi my name is Rico (short for Ricardo) will regularly add more food content to this blog, all my recipes are tried and tested, as I make them and eat them as well as my family, so I wouldn't give you something that is not good.

Recipes published here, will try to conform to the following criteria:

-Easy to create or bake.
-Will be nutritious, wholesome and healthy as well as economical too.
- Will be varied and inventive, mostly created by me.
-Occasionally I will treat you to some indulgent ones. But just as a treat. lol :)
- If I use other blog recipes will be to pey homenage and I will definitly link it, appreciated if the same is done for mine.

I will try to respond to all comments made, and visit their owners, however I run a no strings attached blog here when I comment on other blogs I do not expect to have them come here the same way I don't accept if I am commented on that the person will expect my visit to their blog, no commitments, but as I said I will try.

I also want this opportunity to say, thank you al that have continuously vsited me and new people visiting me you are the reason why I am here, I am not here just to get numbrs or self publicise, I am here for real friends and real opinions and to be nice to all. THANK YOU ALL :) xx

Don't just visit in a rush...subscribe to a feed, get updated automatically when I put new foods up, it is fun.