Wednesday 18 February 2009

Lemon Chicken with Lemon Sauce - Blueberry Cottage Cheese Cakes

Receita em Português AQUI



Recipe Ingredients: (feeds 4-5)
  • 4 medium chicken breasts (each breast cut length ways to for two steaks)
  • 2 lemons (one of which is to be cut in slices) *
  • 2 soup spoons of butter
  • 1 glass of white wine
  • 2 garlic cloves (minced)
  • 2 bay leaves
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • a little olive oil
  • parsley bunch (finely chopped)
After you made the chicken breasts into steaks, put them marinating in "vinha de alhos" roughly translates to Garlic Winery, which means you cut a couple of garlic into slithers, put them in the chicken in a bowl fill it with half white wine until it just covers the chicken, and add the juice of one lemon plus a couple of bay leaves and a little salt(these ingredients are not part of the recipes list, so these are extra), let these marinate for minimum 30 minutes best if over an hour.

Now place a pan on the stove on high, put a couple of glugs of olive oil enough to cover the bottom of the pan, once hot add the chicken steaks one by one, and turn them around as soon as they sealed, at that stages ad the remaining contents of the marinading bowl, also add the juice of one lemon, cut the remaining into slithers and throw it in also and add on as well the garlic, lemon slices, the butter, white wine, bay leaves + salt and pepper to taste, bring these to the boil, then ad a lid to the pan and reduce it to min. Let it simmer for 30 minutes, stir occasionally, and check if it does get low on liquid (it shouldn't) add a little more White wine.

*(tip this chicken will get quite zesty and lemony, if you don't want that zesty after taste (a little bitter) just remove the yellow part of the skin of the lemon before you juice it and/or cut into slices and ad it to the food. One more thing if you want the slices of lemon to remain more intact, only add these 10 minutes before it is all done)*

Now that the 30 minutes passed add a tea spoon of flour to a little water mix well than pour it in the pan as well as the parsley, swirl it around and that will form the nicest lemony wine sauce, really great, and if you not afraid of you stomach lol add a little cream (optional, for a more smooth cream).

Serve the chickens steaks on the plates top them with a little sauce, and place a slice or two of lemon from the sauce on top. Serve with that your roasted/boiled vegetables, mine were roasted potatoes, parsnips, butter steamed red cabbage, and some boiled Brussels Sprouts with garlic butter.




Recipe Ingredients: (enough for 6 ramekins)
  • 300grs Cottage cheese.
  • 150grs self raising flour
  • 1 large egg (separate yolk to one side, white to other and beat the with to peak)
  • 250grs blueberries (any other berries will do: strawberry, raspberry etc etc)
  • 6 spoons of sugar (2 to one side) (4 to another side)
  • a little water and lemon juice.
  • 200ml whipping cream


On a little pan you put the 2 soup spoons of sugar, 2 soup spoons of water and the fruit. Take this to the stove high temp and let it start to boil, once it reaches boiling point reduce it to minimum temp, and let it simmer until the fruit is cooked about 3-4 minutes, mash it with a potato masher let it cook for a further 2-3 minutes (if it starts getting to dry add a little more water) you want a consistency of runny jam.

For the cake, in a bowl put the cheese, egg yolk, 4 soup spoons of sugar and two thirds of the fruit jam, mix this very very well, once that is done mix in the flour bit by bit fold it in, it will get quite tough and sticky, so now add the beaten egg white and fold this one in too, now you should have a more caky mixture, spoon it into ramekins (that have been previously greased and floured) up to two thirds full, them add a tea spoon of the fruit mix into the centre of the dough, now add one more soup spoon of the dough to completely cover the jam you just put in and goes in the oven at 200c for 20 minutes depending on oven so check at 15. You want a golden brown top see picture. Once cooked let it cool down a little and serve it warm topped with icing sugar a dollop of whipped cream and the remaining jam add a little lemon juice heat it up and pour a spoon over the cake and cream see picture,,,,,is delicious....have fun!!!

32 comments:

Finla said...

I can imagine the flavours of the chicken.
Looks yumm.

Rico said...

Thank you so much Happy, both for visit and comment. I agree it was delicious, even someone that came for dinner said " I am not hungry, as I am late just a cup of tea will do" ...hehe ... he ate all diner as seen on the dish + a cake, and after that he still had the cup of tea and a couple of fig rolls....lol...cheers!!

Anonymous said...

lemon chicken sounds great and I love those blueberry ricotta cakes - yum!

Katherine Roberts Aucoin said...

I love the combination of flavors with the lemon and blueberries. You are so clever Ricardo!

Rico said...

Thank you Star, I agree it was delicious the chicken, so were the blueberry and cottage cheese cakes.
I'll try ricotta next time :).
Thank you so much for visit and comment as always. xxx

Thank you too Kath, lovely to see you here again and appreciate your comment too, (shhh! saying that I am clever the others might hear you, and I don't want to raise expectations lol )

Anonymous said...

Those blueberry cottage cheese cakes look divine, Ricardo! Yum Yum:)!!!

Rico said...

Thank you Sophie, both your visit and comment were, very much appreciated. Hope to entice you again with future postings... :)

Cakelaw said...

Both the chicken and the blueberry cakes sound devine. I am a citrus fan, so anything lemony has me every time.

Unknown said...

I admit I was intrigued by the title "Blueberry Cottage Cheese Cakes." I'd never thought of cottage cheese in a cake before - but it looks delish!

Rico said...

Cakelaw I am so pleased you liked the meal and desert ideas, and I know Valley that is not common to use cottage in cakes, but I was trying to create something new, and it worked although with an unusual texture the taste was incredible and blended really nice with the compote and whipped cream. Cakelaw I am a citrus person too both meals and deserts. But I also like chilli on my meals.
Thank you both for your visits and comment in mine and the blog's support. Thank you. xxx

Bob said...

Great recipes! Lemon chicken is one of my favorites and my girlfriend can't get enough blueberry. :)

Rico said...

Hi Ya Bob, I am honoured that both of you like these dishes, they were a great combo on the day, but I feel was more of a fluke, as I invented both. I am grateful that you gave up some of your time to visit this blog and leave a comment.thx ;)

Tangled Noodle said...

I love the flavor of lemons on chicken! And these cottage cheese cakes look delicious - can we substitute other fruits?

Rico said...

Thank you, I and my family loved the lemony chicken too, as to replacing the fruits, yup absolutely, I would suggest any berries and plum fruits, I chose blueberry for tartness and colour. Thx again 4 your visit and comment... cheers xxx

Ana Powell said...

Olá boas Ricardo
Estou de volta e deparo-me com estas maravilhas.
Quando é que dás um salto a Reading para prepares uma maravilha destas para mim?
Fico com a tua receita de blueberry cheese cake.
Beijinhos

Rico said...

Oias Ana, bem vinda, e espero que tenhas tido um tempo divertido. Pois não posso parar de cozinhar.. Adorei tu passares por aqui mais uma vez e deixares-me com um super comentário, adorei.

Quanto a ir a Reading prepara uma mela para ti vere-mos ;) xxxx

Unknown said...

Parabens pelo teu prato,esta uma delicia,e a sobremesa nem se fala.bjs doces Alexis...

Rico said...

Alexis ... Porque não falas na sobremesa? ;) estou brincado...agora a serio, apreciei muito a tua visita e comentário, sinto-me honrado. jinhos xxx

Chef E said...

This looks and sounds amazing!

Rico said...

Thank you Chef E ( "e" for excellent)thx for your visit and comment. luv it xxx

AnuSriram said...

Wow.. Blueberry cottage cheese cake Looks Lovely! Yummy!

Rico said...

Thank you so much your comment and visit have been greatly appreciated.
Wait until I post my next bomb shell :) hehe!!

Anonymous said...

I loved the design on that service plate. Chicken and lemon together is not so common in Turkey, but personally I love them together.

Rico said...

I am glad you do love it as it was indeed a fantastic meal, you should try it one day, I love Turkish food especially the sweets i.e. Turkish delight. Thx 4 comment and visit cheers :)

test it comm said...

I really like the sound of these blueberry and cottage cheese cakes. They look so light and fluffy and good.

Rico said...

Hi-Ya, kevin, thanks for dropping by, they were very nice indeed you should try and make them. They are lovely warm with the cream and compote. Thanks for comment :)

Lobster Gram Recipe Blog said...

Amazing pictures! This recipe looks absolutely toe-curling good. I have to give this one a try sometime soon. Thanks so much for sharing. I have to stop drooling now!

Rico said...

LMAO try and handkerchief or a bucket that should help with the drooling hehe. Please let me know if you made it how it turned out for you :D thanks for dropping by and for the fantaslicious comment. xxx

Nicole said...

Rico...
Well here I am looking at this lemon chicken again...I suppose that I simply MUST try this recipe, as it is obviously "calling" to me! Your writing of the recipe is done really very well...
Telling people about how to keep the lemons from falling apart; about how to avoid the bitter "aftertaste" of the lemons ( my son is quite sensitive to that), these are all marks of not only a good chef, but one who sincerely wants his recipes to shine when someone else cooks them....So appreciated by all, I am sure...BRILLIANT!

Rico said...

Nicole, I am almost without words when praised so extensively, but I can come up with a couple of good ones, THANK YOU, for visiting, for the comments left and your support here.
If you making these I guarantee nor you or your son will be disappointed they are really nice, and do let me know if you do it plse. thx xx

SaraLynn said...

This looks absolutely amazing!! I love reading your posts!

Sorry I have been under the radar lately. Life gets too busy at times :)

Rico said...

thx so much Sara...really nice of you to drop by and leaving me this great comment. xx
I just hope is a good busy, not bad busy :D

Attribute

If you use any recipes from this site on your blog and/or are inspired by them in the making of a dish on your blog, please acknowledge it by attributing a link as a thank you concerning it's source.... THANK YOU.

PS:
No spam or advertizing will ever be plubished here, don't even try as all comments are checked before publishing.
If you want to place an advert here, payment must be arranjed first.

Rico - Tried and Tested Recipes

Hi my name is Rico (short for Ricardo) will regularly add more food content to this blog, all my recipes are tried and tested, as I make them and eat them as well as my family, so I wouldn't give you something that is not good.

Recipes published here, will try to conform to the following criteria:

-Easy to create or bake.
-Will be nutritious, wholesome and healthy as well as economical too.
- Will be varied and inventive, mostly created by me.
-Occasionally I will treat you to some indulgent ones. But just as a treat. lol :)
- If I use other blog recipes will be to pey homenage and I will definitly link it, appreciated if the same is done for mine.

I will try to respond to all comments made, and visit their owners, however I run a no strings attached blog here when I comment on other blogs I do not expect to have them come here the same way I don't accept if I am commented on that the person will expect my visit to their blog, no commitments, but as I said I will try.

I also want this opportunity to say, thank you al that have continuously vsited me and new people visiting me you are the reason why I am here, I am not here just to get numbrs or self publicise, I am here for real friends and real opinions and to be nice to all. THANK YOU ALL :) xx

Don't just visit in a rush...subscribe to a feed, get updated automatically when I put new foods up, it is fun.